Nurturing Baby Skin: Gentle Tips for Winter Weather Care
As the winter chill sets in, it is challenging to keep your newborn safe from the harsh effects of cold weather. No matter your age, most skin requires special care to protect it from the drying and potentially irritating impact of winter, but a baby's skin is extra delicate. No need to worry! Here is a complete winter skincare guide to help you navigate this season, covering everything from chapped lips to bath time routines. Learn how to tenderly shield your little one's skin during these cold months with these tips.
Tips for Winter Laundry Care:
Winter fabrics, especially those in direct contact with your baby's skin, have a bigger impact on skin health than you think. The chemicals you wash them with tend to stick around. Here are a couple tips to ensure that your little one’s clothes are working to protect their delicate skin from the cold.
- Gentle Cleansing: Use organic laundry soap to gently wash winter layers, ensuring no residues or irritants are left behind.
- Extra Rinse Cycle: Consider adding an extra rinse cycle to ensure all soap is thoroughly washed away.
- Stay Away from Detergents: Most cleaning products use synthetic additives (detergents) as their cleaning agents. Although many of us can use detergents without major side effects, more sensitive skin can be irritated by the petroleum-based agents that stick to clothing.
Tips for Winter Bath Time:
Creating a healthy bath time routine is crucial to winter baby care and keeping your baby’s skin safe from the cold weather. Use these three mama-approved tips below to make sure your kiddo's skin stays during these cold months.
- Warm, not Hot Water: Opt for lukewarm water instead of hot baths. Cooler water is less likely to cause a negative skin reaction and less likely to strip away the natural sebum layer on your baby’s skin.
- Limit Bath Time: Prolonged exposure to water can contribute to skin dryness, so keeping baths short can help with skin health.
- Choosing your soap: Finding a favorite soap that is additive-free, plant-derived, and free from harsh chemicals can be intimidating, but there are options out there! Our Foam Body Soap may be a good place to start, just make sure whatever soap you use checks all your boxes.
Tips for winter Facial Care:
Infants’ delicate lips and face are susceptible to chapping in the winter, which can be hard to deal with. Here are a couple of tips that can help with your baby's comfort:
- Use a Moisturizer: Apply a gentle moisturizer to keep your baby's face hydrated.
- Avoid Harsh Wind Exposure: It’s crazy how quickly wind can dehydrate, so wrap your little bundle up liberally. This will help avoid chapped lips, dry skin, and general discomfort.
Choosing Products that Don't Cause Irritations
Finding winter baby care products that do not cause irritations can be tough, but hopefully this guide and our soaps can help. No matter what baby products you stock up on, just make sure that they don’t use harsh chemicals, synthetic fragrances, or irritants.
Here is another blog to check out if you’re looking for details on how to care for your baby’s delicate skin from dryness, irritations, and chapping. Those first winters are so exiting, and depending on where you live, that first snow will be too.